Foresyte, a lifestyle planning app, aims to centralize lifestyle, financial and social planning by simplifying how people plan their finances, events, and trips, while also providing insights into how people commit to plans. Combining the likes of Mint for budgeting, Booking.com for travel, and a calendar for events, Foresyte brings it all under one roof for an enhanced experience.
As they rolled out their mobile app to market, Foresyte leveraged Appcues to build experiences that onboard and engage their users throughout their journey. Since then, they've posted an impressive 15% increase in onboarding success rate. We sat down with Foresyte CEO, Stephen Eddy, to learn more about his company's use of Appcues Mobile.
Facing the challenges of mobile app adoption head on
New to the scene in 2022, Foresyte had big goals: to launch, iterate, and grow their app quickly and efficiently.
Stephen recognized user onboarding as a critical first step to unlocking that growth. He and his team knew they needed a partner that could help them offer a suitable onboarding experience for users to get acclimated to the Foresyte app quickly. Specifically, they knew they needed to tackle a couple of immediate challenges:
- User reluctance: New Foresyte users need to share data to get the most out of the app, some of which could be considered sensitive. This makes users hesitant to share without knowing the “why.”
- Mobile app user tendencies: Another challenge facing all mobile apps: less than 5% of users stick around on a new app after 30 days…yikes!
Stephen had encountered success with Appcues at his previous company, G2, and was a natural champion for the product. At the time, Appcues Mobile was also new to the market—so new, in fact, that we hadn’t even begun spreading the word. But Stephen and the team were in the right place, at the right time, like a true rom-com meet-cute–it was serendipitous.
Increasing onboarding success + reducing dev time = a recipe for success
With Appcues, the Foresyte team got to work launching and iterating on a user onboarding flow alongside helpful and contextual hints at key points of user friction.
Here’s the scoop on what they saw:
- Increased customer onboarding: By introducing and delivering a tailored onboarding experience, Foresyte reduced friction and increased their onboarding success rate by 15%, bringing them to an impressive overall 78% onboarding success rate!
- Improved usage: Just as a small pebble creates a ripple in a pond, the increase in onboarding success led to a direct increase in user engagement across the customer lifecycle. The bottom line: customers who experienced a valuable, contextual onboarding journey correlated to more regular and healthy product usage.
Stephen commented, "we saw a substantial uptake in post-onboarding user engagement because of the context those Appcues [Flows] provided during onboarding. This is crucial because if you stumble your way through the onboarding process without context, even if you hit the finish line, you're still missing a big piece of what the product is intended to do.”
- A new feedback loop: Making continuous improvements to the onboarding journey, and measuring the conversion rate of customers' activities has allowed Foresyte to further optimize its customer journey. This has kept a rapidly growing team from adding unneeded features or not giving enough attention to their most-loved features. Thanks to comprehensive analytics, they’re able to track user engagement and create a strong feedback loop.
"Understanding which features are maybe being neglected or where we need to point our users, it's just so, so helpful to have all that information in one place, says Stephen."
- A new freemium offer: Along their product-led growth journey, Foresyte used Appcues data, coupled with an Appcues Modal designed to gate premium features to launch their new freemium model.
According to Stephen, “we use an Appcues experience that shows them information for upgrading to premium and an option to either go back to the homepage by tapping a button or going to the upgrade page. It traps them into that view."
- Valuable time saved: As a small and mighty team, Foresyte needed to wring the most out of their strained schedules. Saving hundreds of hours of engineering time was not only a bonus but a prerequisite to building long-term success and growth. By allowing their non-technical team members to focus on the product experience, the Foresyte engineering team focused their time on building new and valuable features.
Stephen shares, "[Appcues] has probably saved us hundreds if not thousands of hours since our inception as a product, and beyond that, it gives you the flexibility to continuously iterate and optimize. Just having that power to immediately make a change is game-changing for us, and it saves our engineering team a lot of headaches."
But most importantly? Foresyte has exploded to almost unforeseeable (heh) growth—105% month-over-month, with over 600 installs a week—results Stephen directly attributes to their successful implementation of Appcues.
Focusing on continuous improvement for the future
Foresyte is focused on continued growth and looks forward to leveraging new Appcues Mobile features, like in-app Surveys and Tooltips, to continue improving their user's experiences.
Their advice for those considering Appcues Mobile? According to Stephen and the entire Foresyte team, Appcues isn’t just a nice-to-have but a must-have component of their product and their entire product strategy—stating, “best decision we made early on was to partner with Appcues.” He offers words of advice to those looking to follow in their footsteps:
- Be passionate and obsessive about creating feedback loops with Appcues
- Short and sweet wins! Don’t bring all the frills, just get to the point
- Treat Appcues like any other part of your product
Want to learn more about using Appcues Mobile to optimize your user journey? Chat with our team of experts.