[Editor's note: We've refreshed a previous version of this list for 2018—hope you enjoy!]
Growth hacking has been around for what seems like a century in internet time, and it was indeed 8 years ago that Sean Ellis coined the term and it started taking off.
Some of the earliest bloggers on growth are still the most influential, but some newcomers are gaining steam. And with an upswell in growth tools to market, some of the best ideas are coming from blogs hosted by SaaS businesses.
I personally spend a ton of time reading articles on growth hacking for inspiration and research. And after conferring with a handful of peers, I whittled down my list to the 21 best growth hacking blogs for you to follow.
Growth hackers with the best personal blogs
The best growth hackers have excellent personal blogs from which they share their unique perspectives on growth. Some share their own wins, while others focus on growth strategy.
Noah is one of the best practitioners of the growth hacking discipline at the top of the funnel. His blog—OkDork—recounts lessons learned on his journey to success that are bright, quirky, and very straight-forward.
Noah also has an incredible YouTube channel that I'm thoroughly enjoying.
Noah's best posts:
- How to Get Traffic to Your Blog with 100,000 Visitors in 1 Year
- What I learned spending $2 Million on Facebook Ads
Casey Winter’s blog is one of my favorites. His writing is a nice balance between in-the-trenches tactics and high-level strategy, making his blog a practical resource for active growth people.
Casey got his chops helping grow Pinterest and Grubhub and is super active in the growth community.
Casey's best posts:
Not a blog per say, but Anum Hussain's fantastic growth presentations have garnered more than 1 million views.
She was previously a growth marketer at Hubspot and recently co-founded acciyo while getting her MBA at MIT (NBD).
Anum's best posts:
- Building a B2C2B Content Strategy
- Applying A Product Mindset To Content: The Growth Playbook You Haven't Heard of Yet
Brian Balfour is a master of growth philosophy and one of the best teachers in the discipline. His blog, Coelevate, examines growth hacking on the industry, team, and individual level.
Brian recently ran growth at HubSpot and is now teaching from his successes.
Brian's best posts:
Sylvia is VP of Product & Growth at 500px, where she heads up multi-disciplinary teams to tackle monetization, acquisition & retention, and community building. Her blog is full of advice for scaling analytics, measuring success, and becoming data-driven.
Sylvia's best posts:
Andrew Chen is another godfather of growth who writes novel essays on the growth mindset, growth pitfalls, tech, and more. He’s one of my favorites to subscribe to.
Andrew's best posts:
- Growth Hacker is the New VP of MarketingWhat's your viral loop? Understanding the engine of adoption
- What 671 million push notifications say about how people spend their day
The Author of Hooked, a best selling book on customer engagement, is constantly evolving his thinking on his blog Nir and Far. For product-focused growth people or for marketers interested in psychology, Nir’s writing is a must-follow.
Nir's best posts:
- Are Companies Too Obsessed With Growth? How to Measure HabitsThe Science of Habit-Forming Products
- How to Win Your Competition’s Customers
Dani is a sustainable growth enthusiast and consultant at GrowthHackers. And her blog is chock full of incredible growth hacking lessons and advice.
Dani's best posts:
- The growth initiative that cut our customer acquisition cost in half
- Building a Cross-Functional Growth Team at Capital One
Talia’s essays on conversion rate optimization are some of the best on the subject. They are entertaining, actionable, and packed with rich ideas.
Improve your conversion rates by following along with her thorough guides.
Talia's best posts:
- Emotional Targeting 101: How to Leverage the Power of Emotion to Grow Conversions
- An All-In-One Guide to Choosing the Right Image for Your Landing Pages
Pierre’s blog talks about growth challenges and strategies from his experience from inside the SaaS trenches. Pierre is a growth marketing consultant for SaaS companies who uses his blog to share learnings and drive leads.
Pierre's best posts:
SaaS companies with excellent growth blogs
There are several SaaS companies focuses on building tools for growth hackers. Out of those companies, here are ones with the best blogs.
The Kissmetrics blog has been around for what seems like centuries in internet years. It has some of the best content on analytics, testing, and optimization for growth. I often end up here through Google searches.
Kissmetrics' best posts:
- How to Create a Growth Hacking Framework
- How to Leverage Your Product to Discover New Growth Channels
- Growth Hacking is a Team Sport
Appcues is an competitive alternative to intercom, so it’s with high praise that we list them here.
Their blog shares high-impact learnings from Intercom employees across teams. One particular topic they cover well is product growth frameworks such as Jobs-to-be-done.
Intercom's best posts:
- Content as a growth engine for your business
- Meaningful growth vs metric manipulation
- How to overcome the startup growth plateau
This is where I get all of my email ideas. If you want to evolve your email strategy and better drive users through your funnels, Customer.io’s blog is an awesome place for inspiration.
Customer.io's blog is narrowly focused on growth hacking via email, but it's the best in the industry on the subject.
Customer.io's best posts:
- Turn Newbies into Power Users Through Lifecycle Segmentation
- How the Best SaaS Companies Write Upgrade Emails that Convert
- Lessons from an Epic Analysis of 50 Welcome Emails
We humbly sneak ourselves onto this list. Truth is, we write a ton on our growth hacking blog, and we’ve written more on user onboarding than anyone else on the planet. Subscribe to get our latest posts or try our growth software to run user onboarding experiments code-free.
Appcues' best posts:
- Sean Ellis' Secret Framework to Unlocking Organic Growth
- The 15 Minute Guide to Growth Marketing
- 6 Growth Experiments HubSpot Ran to Improve Retention
Miscellaneous growth hacking blogs
In addition to blogs from growth experts and SaaS tools, there are several others worth following. Some of the best content on growth come through podcasts, tv series, or communities.
Reforge is Brian Balfour’s latest initiative to help more people become experts in growth. If your ambitions are to become one of the best in your field, check out this course.
Alongside Reforge’s course offering is an excellent blog that shares epic growth stories.
Reforge's best posts:
- Casey Winters on Pinterest's Retention Wins, and Why 90% of SEO Advice is Wrong
- How to Leverage User Psychology to Trigger Growth and Adoption, with James Currier
- Thrive Market's Multi Channel Content Machine: A Study of Content-Based Growth
Grow and Convert
Grow and Convert is great for growth-minded content marketers. The blog started with an ambitious goal to grow their audience to 100k monthly uniques within 6 months. Along the way they shared their wins and losses in what are some of the best recent posts on content marketing growth.
Grow and Convert's best posts:
- How to Turn Your Blog’s Thank You Page Into a Lead Generating Machine
- Content Promotion: How We Grew from 0 to 32,977 Users in 5 Months With Zero Paid Traffic
- Why You Need a Growth Model For Your Blog (And How to Create One)
Growth Everywhere (podcast)
The Growth Everywhere podcast hosts power players who share their best growth stories. If you like high-level growth case studies from big players, this podcast is for you.
Growth Everywhere's best podcasts:
- Jason Lemkin On Building A $100 Million Dollar Revenue Machine
- Former Facebook/Twitter/Quora Growth Expert Andy Johns Shares His Thoughts On User Growth
- Why Neil Patel Pays $30,000 for Content & Gives it Away For Free (& MUCH More)
Growth Hacker TV (video interviews)
Similar to Growth Everywhere, Growth Hacker TV hosts growth experts, but in talking head interview style format. There’s a lot to learn from tuning into the best practitioners out there.
Growth Hacker TV's best videos:
ConversionXL publishes long-form posts on CRO. Their posts always source anecdotes from growth leaders and are written for advanced growth and CRO people.
ConversionXL is consistantly publishing the highest value content on CRO on the web.
ConversionXL's best posts:
- Common Growth Hacking Myths (and How Growth Actually Works)
- The Intersection of SEO and CRO (and How to Maximize Long Term Growth)
- Unlocking Your Company’s Growth Engine w/ Conversion Rate Optimization w/ Sean Ellis
Growth Marketing Conference
Although the Growth Marketing Conference is only held once a year, the conference holds a blog that pumps out excellent content on growth marketing from a diverse group of experts all year around.
Their blog provides a sprinkling of diverse ideas from B2C and B2B SaaS and software companies.
Growth Marketing Conference's best posts:
- 80+ Growth Marketing Lessons from the Top Industry Leaders
- What is Growth Marketing? Building a Framework for Rapid Growth
- Content Marketing for Early Stage Startups
How could we host a roundup of the best growth hacking blogs without mentioning GrowthHackers? GrowthHackers is the go-to forum for sharing and reading blog posts on growth and connecting with other growth practitioners.
Growth Hackers is the hub of all of the above blogs. Each syndicates their best content through this community frequently. If you can only spend your time in one of the places on this list, this is my recommendation.
Growth Hacker's best original content:
- How Slack Became the Fastest Growing B2B SaaS Business (Maybe) Ever
- How BuzzFeed Makes The World Go OMG, LOL and Win Every Day
- Airbnb: The Growth Story You Didn't Know
Did we miss any of your favorites? Tweet us @Appcues to let us know.