GetResponse uses Appcues to understand how users engage with their products, onboard users, gather contextual feedback, and drive adoption.
GetResponse serves 350,000 customers (like IKEA, Zendesk, and Stripe) in 183 countries with their all-in-one online marketing suite. Their customers use GetResponse’s powerful tools to build websites, send emails, automate marketing processes, and more.
As a product-led business that attracts and acquires new customers with a 30-day trial call-to-action, increasing new user activation and feature adoption are critical areas of focus. That’s why Product Marketing Manager, Tom Barragry, began using Appcues.
Improving activation in GetResponse’s email marketing solution
When Tom was tasked with improving new user activation rate within their email marketing solution, he used Appcues to analyze user behavior and create impactful in-app experiences.
To start, Tom wanted to understand how new users engaged with the product. He was especially interested in the actions they took—when they took them, in what order, and how those actions correlated with success (activation).
Typically, gathering this type of data would take weeks and carry a high development cost. But using Appcues’ Click-to-track and Events Explorer features, that wasn’t the case. In the span of a 30-minute meeting, Tom and a group of his colleagues decided which user actions to track, set up the tracking (code-free), and immediately began watching the data roll in.
“Now that product marketing has this power and autonomy, everybody benefits. We're relying less on intuition and more on data." - Tom Barragry, Product Marketing Manager at GetResponse
The goal? Encourage as many users as possible to progress from the email editor by clicking “next.” The team found that of the 4 unique actions users could take to complete the goal, one of them boasted a massive 57% majority. The data was clear. They would streamline the experience for all new users by educating and guiding the other 43% of users down the most common―and most effective―path to success.
Based on these insights, Tom created a new onboarding flow (using Appcues, of course!) to guide users down the optimal path. Within days, GetResponse increased new email creation by 60% and email sends (GetResponse’s activation moment) by 16%.
Launching GetResponse’s new Website Builder
Following the success of their user onboarding initiative, the GetResponse team began gearing up to launch their brand new Website Builder, a monumental product release for the company.
With the new solution in its “early access” phase, Tom and his team once again wanted to understand how users were engaging with the product. And once again, the product marketing team was empowered to track and measure the data they needed using Appcues. But this time, their motivation was different. This time, it was all about user segmentation.
In one example, the team used the data to target feedback surveys in-app (with Appcues) and via email (with GetResponse) to specific segments of users. In another, they used it to reach and re-engage users they knew had visited the early-access version of their Website Builder.
In the past, Tom and team would’ve had to wait until the MVP version of a new product was released before being able to fully track product usage. With Appcues, their product marketing team was empowered to move faster, deliver high-quality user feedback to their user experience (UX) team, and launch the product earlier than planned.
And yes, Tom created a user onboarding flow for the new Website Builder. After the success of their previous onboarding project, who could blame him?
But he also created an Appcues Modal to alert existing customers about the new product, which drove a ~5% increase in adoption. 😎
Localization. GetResponse serves 7 key markets globally, so content localization is a priority. They’ve recently introduced versions of Appcues flows in Polish (the native language of their home market) and look forward to expanding localization for the others.
Product optimization. After launching the Website Builder, Tom and team noticed a few points of friction where users seemed to be dropping off. Using Appcues, they’ve been able to quickly mock up and implement an immediate solution, while the product team develops the relevant core product improvements. Tom expects to continue using Appcues to monitor and address these types of gaps moving forward.